Efficiently harnessing ambient warmth, heat pumps provide sustainable heating and cooling for your home.
Why choose a heatpump?
In the context of ever rising energy costs and climate change, every household is in need of a heating technology that is future-proof, cost-effective and independent of fossil fuels.
Our environment is full of energy, even at sub-zero temperatures there is plenty of energy available.
Heat Pumps use conventional refrigeration technology to extract the sun’s energy stored in the environment and raise it to a temperature suitable for heating purposes. This principle works even in the middle of winter at temperatures as low as -25°C.
Please follow the link below (Self Assessment Tool) to get a rough and ready assessment of the size and approximate cost of a Heat Pump for your home.
Please bear in mind this will be subject to a full site survey to gather detailed information to allow an accurate design and cost to be calculated.
A Nibe heat pump for example; offers you three different future-proof heat sources: outside air, the ground or water.
- 25% of the energy is sourced from the national grid in the form of electricity. This electricity is used to operate the heat pump’s refrigerant compressor, pumps and fans.
- The other 75% of the energy is taken from the environment i.e the air or ground and transferred to the heat pump.
- The energy from the air or ground is transferred to the refrigerant inside the heat pumps evaporator. This causes the temperature of the refrigerant to rise and change state from liquid to gas.
- The refrigerant gas is then compressed, using an electrically driven compressor, reducing its volume but causing its temperature to rise significantly.
- A heat ex-changer (condenser) then extracts the heat energy from the hot refrigerant to heat water for central heating, underfloor heating or domestic hot water.
- After giving up its heat energy the refrigerant turns back into a liquid and is able to absorb energy from the environment again, allowing the cycle to then be repeated.
- Can be utilised all year round between -25ºC and +35ºC. It’s always available and seen as an inexhaustible source of heat.
- It is the cheapest form of Heat pump technology and there is no need for a large area of land for ground collectors.
- How They Work: ASHPs absorb heat from the outside air into a liquid refrigerant at a low temperature. Using electricity, the pump compresses the refrigerant, which increases its temperature. The hot refrigerant is then passed through a heat exchanger, transferring its heat to the heating and hot water circuits of your house.
- Energy Efficiency: They can deliver about 3.5 times more heat energy than the electrical energy they consume.
- Cost-Effective Installation: Generally have lower upfront costs compared to ground source heat pumps. Please see our ASHP Case history.
- Versatility: Suitable for a wide range of properties, including those without large gardens.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Especially effective if combined with renewable electricity sources like solar panels.
- Cooling Capability: Some models can also provide cooling in the summer.
- How They Work: GSHPs transfer heat from the ground into your home. A mixture of water and antifreeze absorbs heat from the ground through a loop of pipe (ground loop) buried in your garden. Once the fluid is heated, it’s compressed to a higher temperature and transferred to your heating and hot water systems.
- Stable Heat Source: The ground temperature is more consistent than air, ensuring reliable heat supply and higher efficiency.
- Greater Efficiency: Typically more efficient than ASHPs, particularly in colder weather. A well-designed system can see efficiencies over 4.0. Please see our GSHP case history.
- Longevity and Low Maintenance: GSHP systems have long lifespans and require minimal maintenance.
- Environmental Friendly: Significantly lower carbon emissions compared to traditional fossil fuel systems.
- Potential for Passive Cooling: Some systems can also provide cooling in warmer months.
- How They Work: Ground source heat pumps can use horizontal trench collectors or the pipes can be installed vertically in boreholes that can be over 200 meters deep. These deep ground loops absorb heat from the earth and transfer it to the heat pump, which then increases the temperature for domestic or commercial uses.
- Space-Saving: Ideal for properties with limited land area for horizontal ground loops.
- Consistent Performance: The deeper ground maintains a more consistent temperature, providing reliable and efficient heating.
- Reduced Landscape Impact: The vertical boreholes occupy less surface area, minimizing the impact on your garden or land.
- High Efficiency: As a GSHP, they are more efficient than conventional heating systems and reduce carbon emissions.
Our Suppliers and Products
The NIBE F2050-6kW air-to-water heat pump embodies a blend of advanced technology, compact design, and environmental consciousness, tailored for efficient home heating and cooling.
- Climate-Friendly Technology: The F2050-6kW utilizes R32 refrigerant, which has a reduced global warming potential, highlighting its commitment to minimizing environmental impact.
- High Efficiency: It boasts an excellent seasonal performance factor, ensuring low operating costs while maintaining optimal comfort levels in your home throughout the year.
- Compact and Silent Operation: Designed with a small installation footprint, this model operates quietly, with a nominal sound power value as low as 53dB(A), making it unobtrusive in residential settings.
- Smart Connectivity: When paired with NIBE’s SMO S40 or VVM S320, the F2050-6kW integrates into the NIBE S-series range, enabling smart home connectivity. This feature allows for enhanced control over the system, offering adjustments and monitoring through smart devices.
- Versatile Performance: Capable of operating efficiently in temperatures as low as -20°C and providing supply temperatures up to 58°C, it ensures your home remains comfortable in various weather conditions. The inverter-controlled compressor adapts seamlessly to your home’s heating demands, supplying renewable energy efficiently.
- User-Friendly: The heat pump is designed for ease of use, with intelligent technology that not only adjusts to your home’s needs but also allows for energy consumption management through user-friendly controls.
The NIBE F2050-10kW air-to-water heat pump is designed for larger residential spaces requiring efficient and reliable heating and cooling solutions. This model shares many of the advanced features and technological innovations found in the 6kW variant but with increased capacity to meet higher demand.
- Enhanced Capacity for Larger Homes: With a 10kW output, this model is suited for larger homes or buildings, providing ample heating and cooling even in demanding conditions.
- Eco-Friendly Operation: Utilizes the R32 refrigerant, known for its lower global warming potential compared to traditional refrigerants, making it a more environmentally sustainable option.
- Highly Efficient Performance: The F2050-10kW boasts an excellent seasonal performance factor, ensuring that it operates with high efficiency, leading to lower energy consumption and cost savings over time.
- Compact and Quiet Design: Despite its powerful output, the unit is designed to have a compact footprint and operates quietly, with a nominal sound power level that ensures minimal disturbance.
- Smart Home Compatibility: When integrated with NIBE’s SMO S40 or VVM S320, it becomes a part of a smart home ecosystem, offering users the ability to monitor and control their heating system remotely for enhanced convenience and efficiency.
- Versatile and Reliable: Capable of operating effectively in outdoor temperatures as low as -20°C and providing hot water temperatures up to 58°C, it ensures comfort throughout the year in various climate conditions.
- Intelligent Adaptation: Features an inverter-controlled compressor that dynamically adjusts to the heating requirements of your home, ensuring optimal performance and renewable energy utilization.
- High-Performance Heating: The 8kW model delivers robust heating capabilities, with a power range that extends up to 9.5 kW, making it ideal for larger spaces or areas with higher heating demands.
- Exceptional Efficiency: Features an impressive SCOP of 5.0 at 35°C, indicative of its ability to operate effectively while keeping energy consumption to a minimum.
- Cutting-Edge Inverter Control: This model uses inverter control to dynamically adjust its output, ensuring optimal performance and energy savings throughout its operation.
- Sustainability Focus: Like its counterpart, it uses the environmentally friendly R290 refrigerant, aligning with sustainability goals and reducing the carbon footprint of home heating.
- Designed for Quietness: Prioritizes a quiet operational mode, with its design focused on reducing noise pollution, ensuring that heating comfort does not come at the expense of a tranquil home environment.
- Capability for Extreme Conditions: It is engineered to provide high supply temperatures up to 75°C, ensuring reliable heating even in very cold weather conditions, with performance unaffected down to -25°C outdoor temperature.
- Smart Home Ready: Integrates seamlessly with smart home systems via myuplink for enhanced convenience, allowing users to control and monitor their heating system remotely for ultimate comfort and efficiency management.
- Powerful Heating Capacity: The 12kW model is suited for larger homes or buildings, providing ample heating capacity to maintain comfortable indoor temperatures in more spacious environments.
- Advanced Efficiency: With a higher capacity, this model maintains excellent efficiency levels, making it an ideal choice for those looking to heat larger spaces without compromising on energy consumption.
- Adaptive Technology: Features advanced inverter technology that adjusts the operation dynamically to the heating demand, enhancing comfort while optimizing energy use.
- Sustainability: Like the 8kW model, it uses R290 refrigerant for a reduced environmental footprint, offering a green heating solution.
- Integrated Smart Features: Offers seamless integration with smart home technologies for easy monitoring and management, ensuring that homeowners can enjoy both convenience and efficiency.
- Robust Construction: Designed to perform reliably in extreme conditions, ensuring that your home remains warm even in the coldest weather, thanks to its capability to provide high supply temperatures.
The 6kW model is ideally suited for small to medium-sized properties, providing efficient heating and cooling with the following key features:
- Energy Efficiency: Equipped with inverter technology for optimal performance, automatically adjusting to the home’s needs to minimize operating costs.
- Flexible Installation: Does not include an integrated hot water tank, allowing for installation flexibility in properties with varying space constraints.
- Smart Home Ready: With integrated WiFi, it can be fully controlled via smartphone or tablet, offering users insights into heat generation and system performance.
- Eco-Friendly: Utilizes a climate-friendly refrigerant, contributing to a reduced environmental footprint.
- User Interface: Features an updated design with sophisticated touchscreen control for easy operation.
- Passive Cooling Option: Can be combined with NIBE’s PCM accessories for passive cooling, enhancing comfort during warmer months.
The 12kW, designed for larger homes, builds on the strengths of the 6kW model with enhanced capabilities:
- Higher Capacity: Offers increased heating power, making it suitable for larger properties requiring more energy output.
- Advanced Energy Efficiency: Maintains high efficiency with intelligent inverter control, adapting energy output to the exact needs of the home.
- Smart Integration: Fully compatible with smart home systems for detailed monitoring and control over heating and cooling preferences.
- Design and Usability: Boasts a modern interface with touchscreen controls for a user-friendly experience.
- Environmental Sustainability: Uses eco-friendly refrigerant and supports passive cooling for a reduced carbon footprint.
- Versatile Installation: Like the 6kW model, it allows for a separate hot water tank based on household hot water needs.
The 12kW model is ideal for homeowners seeking a powerful, yet efficient, ground source heat pump solution capable of handling the demands of larger spaces without compromising on performance or environmental standards.
- Versatility: The range from 5 kW to 16 kW allows the latest Samsung Air sourced heat pumps to serve a variety of spaces, from smaller residential homes to larger areas or commercial spaces. They use the new R290 minimal environmental impact refrigerant gas that allows higher flow temperatures. This range is then suitable for a broader range of buildings whilst delivering acceptable efficencies.
- Consistent Performance: Even in colder climates, these heat pumps are designed to deliver reliable highly efficient heating and hot water, maintaining comfort levels inside the premises without the high running costs associated with traditional heating methods.
- Smart Operation: Many models in the EHS Mono R290 series are equipped with smart features for remote monitoring and control, allowing users to adjust settings and optimize performance via a smartphone app.
- Quiet Operation: These units are designed to operate quietly, minimizing noise disruption, which is particularly beneficial in residential settings.
What some of our clients say
Best thing we ever did talking to Carbon Legacy at the design stage. Demystified all the jargon with simple advice that has truly delivered.
I asked for a house that would be cheap to run and comfortable. Now after 5 years my only energy bill is a few hundred pounds a year. Very happy!
Speak to us about the diverse heat pump options tailored to your needs. We’re here to guide you through selecting the ideal system for your home or business, ensuring optimal efficiency and comfort.